It’s crucial for facility managers to make sure their staff has the most efficient and effective cleaning products available, while also regularly assessing all tools to determine if they are working properly. Like all cleaning products, a floor pad will eventually reach the end of its lifespan and require replacement. Below are three ways to determine if it’s time to replace your floor pad:
- Visual Cues: The easiest way to tell whether your pad needs replacing is in its appearance. For many types of pads, a general rule of thumb is to replace the pad once its thickness reaches 3/8” inch to avoid damaging the floor with the pad driver. Some pads, such as the Scotch-Brite™ Clean & Shine Pad, have an outer layer that is a different color than the inside. As a result, once the coating has worn away, it provides a visual indication that the pad needs to be replaced. Scrubbing and stripping pads can become clogged with finish during use, which is evident by caking on the pad surface.
- Product Performance: Sub-par performance can be a sign that your floor pad is due for replacement. For scrubbing and stripping pads, experienced floor crews can often feel when the pad is no longer cutting optimally. Depending on the type of pad and how long it’s been used, it may need to be totally replaced, flipped over, or cleaned.
- Pad Maintenance: General care and cleaning of pads can indicate that they need to be changed. When staff regularly rinse and clean the pads after a job, they can see whether the pad’s effectiveness is being impacted by residual dirt and debris. A dirty floor pad can be counterproductive by making the floor dirtier or causing scratching.
When selecting new floor pads, it’s crucial to pick the right product to help minimize future labor and materials costs. Facility managers should look for products that are:
- Engineered for a specific task, e.g. floor stripping or burnishing;
- Made of high-quality materials to promote longevity;
- Designed for durability (specifically, seek out pads with fibers and resins that withstand the effects of chemicals).
Facility managers are continually asked to do more with less, especially when it comes to cleaning. Fortunately, by choosing the right tools, conducting regular performance reviews, and replacing underperforming products on an ongoing basis, cleaning efficiency and efficacy can be maximized. Discover the proper 3M™ Floor Pads for your facility.
Make a great impression with guests and increase office morale and productivity levels in your facility with 3M Commercial Cleaning Solutions. Call 180013200201 (PLDT and Smart), 180089020491 (Globe Telecom and Bayan), or +63-22711680 or send us a message to learn more about 3M cleaning products. Available from Monday - Friday, 8 AM to 5 PM.